Open to all families with children with special health care needs/disabilities!
Family Support Summit Schedule
Sunday, October 23, 2022
11 AM-2PM (booths open at 10:30)
Waters of Minocqua- lower level conference rooms, South 8116, US-51, Minocqua, WI 54548 (activities in the waterpark are not part of the Summit)
Lunch from Minocqua Pizza Company will be served at 12 noon.
Mileage reimbursement available
Please contact us with any questions, need for accommodations, or to let us know you are coming-
Sharing Circles– parent led conversations
- Practicing good Self-Care for parents
- What resources and tools are available to keep my child safe?
- How does my family access different services and supports?
- Parenting support/ raising grandchildren
- How do I best make use of therapy supports for my child?
- 11:00 AM Mindfullness: Mindfulness is a skill to orient ourselves in the actual moment we are experiencing. We are also less reactive, stressed, and overwhelmed. This program will teach or remind you of why this is so practical and restorative. Taught through simple exercises, we will expand into uses in everyday life. Join Kathy Mitchell, who was a psychotherapist for over 40 years. She began practicing and teaching mindfulness and meditation 13 years ago and has offered programs on related topics throughout the community. In retirement, she continues to offer virtual, monthly Mindfulness programs and leads area meditation groups.
- 12:30 PM Bridging the Gap- This training from the Wisconsin Youth Health Transition Initative is an overview of youth health transition (to adult services and supports)
- Resource Tables and demonstration booths from local organizations
- Asset Mapping- share what assets are in your community and learn the gifts of your neighbors
- Build a Care Notebook: a way to organize school information, medical records, and other important information to share with others.
- Kids Activities: coloring pages, stickers, make your own fidget, and others activities
You do not need to RSVP, but you can fill out this form to help us with planning and to get updates.
Saturday, October 8, 2022
9 AM- 12 Noon
Light Breakfast/ Snacks provided
Come learn about the parts of IEP process including the referral process, evaluations, writing the IEP, and revising the IEP. Bring your child’s IEP with you and there will time to also ask questions.
Provided in small groups via zoom by Nelsinia Ramos from WI FACETS:
- Ashland, Northland Technical College Conference Room 306
- Rhinelander, Quality Inn
- Stevens Point, Midstate Independent Living Choices
- Wausau, Northcentral Technical College
Saturday, September 17, 2022
9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Northwood Technical College Conference Center, Ashland, WI (use parking lot on far south side and enter in through door S4)
Sharing Circles– informal conversations throughout the day
• Practicing good Self-Care for parents
• What resources and tools are available to keep my child safe?
• How does my family access different services and supports?
• Parenting support/ raising grandchildren
• How do I best make use of therapy supports for my child?
• 10:00 AM Build Your Bridge: Introduce and discuss when to start thinking about health care transition to adult care providers as well as offers helpful tools and resources.
• 11:30 AM Did You Know? Now You Know!: explains resources and services for children with disabilities and special health care needs from birth through young adulthood. Topics include: Medicaid, Children’s Long-Term Supports, prior authorizations and appealing a Medicaid denial, respite, partnering with your doctor, and more.
• 1:00 PM Caring for the Whole Family: Tips and guidance from parents for parents of children with special health care needs/disabilities
• Resource Tables and demonstration booths from local organizations
• Asset Mapping- share what assets are in your community and learn the gifts of your neighbors
• Build a Care Notebook: a way to organize school information, medical records, and other important information to share with others.
• Kids Activties: coloring pages, stickers, make your own fidget, and others activities
Help us plan by filling at this brief form- you do not need to RSVP to attend.
Family Support Summit Ashland Flyer
*These positions have been closed but any additional opportunities will be posted here.
•These positions are a unique opportunity for parents to use their experiences to work on short term projects this fall and provide feedback on other aspects of programming.
•Several Parent Advisors will be hired throughout our region for short term opportunities through the end of 2022.
•Some will engage in a clearly identified projects that address needed support for families.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assist with the development of content and materials produced by the Northern Regional Center for families.
- Attend 3 regional meetings between September-December to provide input with other parents/caregivers on Northern Regional Center programs and services.
- Support the planning of regional events for families including providing input beforehand, promoting the events, and assisting at the events.
- Provide feedback on information produced by the Northern Regional Center including social media posts, website content, and other materials prepared for families.
- Explore an issue that effects families of children with disabilities and develop resources to address this.
- Promote the events of the Northern Regional Center through a media outreach plan
- Identify new resources and follow up on sharing them to interested parties in multiple formats.
- Perform related work, including documentation of work performed, as required.
Connecting with another parent who has a child with a similar specialized care need or diagnosis can be one of the most helpful resources a parent will have – it can help make their journey a little easier. Trainings prepare you to give support to another parent who is parenting a child with special health needs. Join Parent-to-Parent for our Support Parent Training and help us meet the increasing need for peer support. Trainings are through Zoom.
Wednesday, June 29th
Please RSVP by June 25th
Register at: P2P6-29-2022.eventbrite.com
This is a two hour training. Materials will be emailed ahead of time. The
Zoom link will be provided a few days before the event. There are pre
and post training requirements.
P2P Support Parent Training Flier June 2022
P2P Support Parent Training Flier July 2022
P2P Support Parent Training Flier August 2022