Build Your Bridge: Moving from Child to Adult Health Care
This is a free presentation and conversation to help guide families through the transition from child-centered to adult health care systems. Youth and families are often overwhelmed and under-prepared for the transition to adult health care. This presentation will introduce and discuss when to start thinking about health care transition as well as provide helpful tools and resources.
As a result of participating in this presentation we hope you will:
• Understand what youth health care transition is and why it is important.
• Identify activities in daily life where transition occurs.
• Apply tools and resources to take an active role in the health care transition process.
• Start a health transition action plan
Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 7:30-8:30 PM or
Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 8:30-9:30 AM
You can register at: tinyurl.com/y48upo72. Contact the Northern Regional Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs at 715-261-1906 with any questions. We will email you instructions on joining Zoom along with a link to a video that provides an introduction to health transition.
Build Your Bridge Jan 2020 Flyer
Virtual Autism Conference
The Autism Societies of Greater Wisconsin and Minnesota are pleased to announce a second year of partnership in combining both the Wisconsin and Minnesota annual state autism conferences to a virtual event in 2021. The virtual conference, “Inform, Influence, Innovate Together,” will be held online April 21-24, 2021, and will feature dozens of livestream breakout sessions, virtual exhibit booths, an autism resources bookstore, and Temple Grandin as a keynote speaker.
Conference website- www.autismgreaterwi.org/event-cal/31st-annual-conference/
Circles of Life Conference
May 6 and 7, 2021
Information coming soon to their website- www.circlesoflifeconference.com/
There are a number of conferences taking place virtually this fall that are listed below. Many offer scholarships. The Northern Regional CYSHCN Center can also provide scholarships for registration for any of these conferences. Use the Contact Us form and we will send you the form.
Wisconsin Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Conference
October 19-21, 2020
Self Determination Conference- FREE
October 26- 28, 2020
Virtual Self-Determination Conference
“Essential Supports for People with FASD”
October 30, 2020 ~ 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM,
Transition Parents in Partnership October- May
Statewide Tuesday Evening Training (13 sessions)
Statewide Saturday Training (8 sessions)
“PIP is a statewide program in which a group of parents and other caregivers meet together during the year to share their family stories, challenges, joys and triumphs of raising their children. At PIP participants will learn about the community and statewide resources for children with disabilities; explore issues around health, education, transition, policy making, legislation, inclusion, self-determination, family well-being, and IDEA Special Education Law.”
PIP Flyer with dates
Connect and Share is an activity where Regional Center staff set up in a local library on a Sturday to offer families a time to drop-in to:
- Get to know the services of the Northern Regional Center for Children and Youth with
Special Health Care Needs
- Make a Care Binder to organize your child’s medical and school information as a way to help
track information from multiple specialists and therapies
- Provide feedback on what trainings the Regional Center should offer locally
- Help us map out resources in the area
- Pick up Fact Sheets from Family Voices and booklets on various disabilities
- Activities available for kids, including making fidgets while parents chat
When #SaferatHome was implemented we setup times for open conversation via Zoom in April to replace these but have discontinued them for right now. Feel free to contact us if you are interested in having a Connect and Share in your community once we are able to travel.
Your Input is Valuable- please fill out our survey regarding Family, Youth, and Community Engagement here.
Parents Sought for Ongoing Feedback
The Northern Regional Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN) Center is looking for feedback from families through Parent Advisory Councils. We want parents to let us know what is working and what is not. We also would appreciate suggestions on additional trainings and programs. Additionally, these meetings will be an avenue for staff to provide updates on projects that we are developing.
We are looking for:
- Parents/ primary caregivers of children with special health care needs and/or disabilities under age 22
- Live in the 15 counties that are a part of the Northern Regional Center services area. 3 separate Parent Advisory Councils will be set up so that travel will be minimized. These three areas are divided up by color in the map below.
- Are willing to provide feedback and suggestions on CYSHCN supports and services
We will hold these meetings twice a year on a weekday evening with a phone/ video conference option as well. Dinner will be provided and parents can receive a gas card for mileage reimbursement if needed.
If you are interested in participating or want more information, contact Allison Lourash at 715-261-1906 or via email at Allison.firstname.lastname@example.org.