Planning for Life After High School?

The transition from being in school for most of the day to adulthood is a huge step for families of children with disabilities and special health care needs.  Once you think you have things figured out with school and kids systems you now have to navigate different adult systems. Below are a variety of resources related to the transition to adulthood. Feel free to reach out to us for assistance, using our Contact Us form.

Resources on Supported Decision Making are here

Statewide Resources

The CYSHCN Network offers several trainings related to health transition that are listed here. Feel free to give us a call at the Regional Center to learn more or see our front page.

Family Voices of Wisconsin has fact sheets on transition including information on Supported Decision Making and accessing healthcare:

Wisconsin Promise created a Transition Guide (Fall 2018):

Health Care Transition

The Wisconsin Youth Health Transition Initiative serves as the hub for health care transition-related information. Other resources include:

Transition to Adult Long Term Care and Supports

Transitioning from the Children’s Long Term Support waiver to the Adult Long Term Care waiver can be assisted by your child’s CLTS case manager. Your local Aging and Disability Resource Center can assist you learn more about adult long term care supports. You can find your local office by using this map:

DHS has created a comparison of the two long term care options for people with physical or intellectual disabilities. These programs are Family Care and IRIS:

School Supports and local County Communities on Transition (CCoTs)

When it comes time to plan for transition, many local schools have resource fairs and transition nights to help families navigate this process. Contact your local school and see if they have a transition coordinator or ask the special education director to see about these. Also, most counties have a group of educators, services providers, and other organizations that meet as a County Community on Transition to support each other and families through these processes. Information on C-CoTs can be found at

Transition from School to Post-Secondary Education and Employment

The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation is a major resource to connect with during high school.  They have a great video introducing their services:

Information on Project SEARCH internship programs in Wisconsin:

Think College provides information on program access to post-secondary education for people with intellectual disabilities. Post-Secondary programs in our area include: