Assistive Technology and Adaptive Equipment

Finding and Funding Assistive Technology

If your child is needing items to be more independent, there are a variety of ways to fund it. Contact us or your local case manager to learn more about local programs.

Wisloan is a loan program specifically for families in Wisconsin to purchase home modifications, adaptive equipment, an/or assistive technology to be more independent.There are no income requirements, and individuals are not required to exhaust personal or public funding. Under the programs, banks provide loans to qualified borrowers. Loan amounts depend on the item purchased and the ability to repay the loan. Individuals applying for a loan must be at least 18 years old and reside in Wisconsin. Applicants must be a person with a disability or be purchasing items for someone with a disability (for example, a grandparent buying a device for a grandchild). Loans can only be used to purchase assistive technology or to make accessibility modifications.

Your local Independent Living Center (ILCs) can assist with finding assistive technology and funding including applying for Wisloan and TEPP. Midstate Independent Living Choices and North Country Independent Living serve our area.

Midstate Independent Living Choices:       Counties served: Adams, Florence, Forest, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Oneida, Portage, Taylor, Vilas, Wood. Tribes served: Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Forest County Potawatomi Tribe, Sokaogon Mole Lake Chippewa

North Country Independent Living   Counties served: Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Price, Sawyer, Washburn. Tribes served: Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, La Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, St. Croix Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa


Deaf/ Hard of Hearing Resources

Wisconsin Education Services Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WESP-DHH) supports families and school for children who are deaf or have hearing loss. They can provide consultations for schools, have mentoring/ supports programs 

The state Office for Deaf/ Hard of Hearing can provide information on the TAP program, interpreters, captioning and other resources.

For access to telephones, TEPP and TAP can assist with equipment and funding.


Blind/ Visually Impaired Resources

Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired at the Wisconsin Department of Human Services 

Wisconsin Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired can provide assistance with equipment and funding including training.