We wanted to provide some updates on summer camps for 2021 as families start planning. The Northern Regional Center does not endorse any of these camps and this information is provided only as a resource. When considering camps there can be many options depending on your child’s needs and interests. You can talk to camps to see if they can accommodate your child or other parents who may have already had their children participate.
- Easter Seals Camp Wawbeek in Wisconsin Dells. Several camp options at different times of the year including transition, respite, autism, and adults.
- Badger Camp: have many options for campers ages 3-21 with intellectual disabilities. One or two week sessions. For older kids they have travel and primitive camp options too. Near Praire Du Chein.
- Timbertop Camp: summer camp for youth with specific learning disabilities/ special needs including AD/HD, SLD, Title 1, OHI that is held at the Wisconsin Lions Camp in Rosholt near Stevens Point.
- Variety Chatter Matters Camp at UW Whitewater is available to children ages 5-15 who use Augmentative and Alternative Communication and their families.
- Camp Awesum fills up very quickly each year and registration for Youth Camp for 2022 opened on 1/2/22. Note that there have been some changes for 2022. Dr. Glenis Benson is no longer involved, the Youth Camp has been moved to Daycolah Center near Ripon, WI and a new camp for ages 5-8 with an adult is starting.
- Wisconsin Lions Camp is is in Rosholt near Stevens Point. Week long camps for different types of disabilities including Blind/Low Vision, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Autism/Intellectual Disabilities, Epilepsy Diabetes. Wisconsin Lions Camp programs are free but have a lottery.
- Wisconsin Youth Leadership Forum– occurs yearly in the summer at Edgewood College in Madison. Become a part of the youth that lead us! This week-long forum is for high school students with disabilities who want to learn more about leadership, self-advocacy skills, and career awareness.
- Camp LuWiSoMo Joyful Hearts ministry is designed for individuals with developmental disabilities, providing a quality camping experience in a safe, Christian environment. All campers take part in the usual camp activities, but each activity is modified based on the needs of the camper. Located in Wild Rose, WI (south of Stevens Point)
- Camp Daniel is an organization dedicated to providing people with disabilities opportunities for personal, social, and spiritual growth. Camp Daniel is rooted in its summer camping program that offers people with disabilities access to safe and fun Northwoods camping experiences, where the physical, social, and spiritual needs, that each person’s disability requires, are lovingly met. In Marinette County.
- 4-H Camp Susan is located near Deerbrook, in the rural Northwoods:
- You can hear more about how Camp Susan has accommodated campers in the past with this video: youtu.be/IK4PcchE2es
- Fort Wilderness camp near Rhinelander is another camp that parents have said their children with disabilities/ special health care needs have enjoyed
- YMCA Camp Sturtevant in Wausau offers day camps for the entire summer as well as other opportunities. They do accept the child care subsidy and have camper scholarships.
- Rainbow’s End Day Camp for children 5-21 typically in July in Wausau
- Numerous camps affiliated with the Paul Newman Foundation like Hole in the Wall Gang and Painted Turtle host weeks for specific disability groups.
- Bayfield County 4-H Summer Camp is available to youth not involved in 4-H as well as members.
Our partners at Family Voices of Wisconsin created this list of camps across the state a few years ago if you are looking outside the area: familyvoiceswi.org/resource-library/1304/.
Cost of camps: Camps are funded in a variety of ways and the costs can vary greatly. Child care subsidies or a sliding fee scale may assist with camp. Some camps have scholarships available or you may be able to utilize CLTS funds for camp as respite. Give us a call, 715-261-1906, if you need help navigating all these options or want more information.